Last week, Guru rooted his Droid. This week, he’s gone Cyanogen Mod.
- Letter from Geekymamaw – “Loving all the things discussed in your podcast. You guys are great! Yours and “android app addicts” have become my favorites and the only two podcasts I subscribe to. I have an HTC EVO and love it when Jere talks about things we can do with it. My favorite app for the EVO so far is a paid one called Slingbox Mobile. It’s pricey, but I can sling my home TV into my Android phone anywhere I have phone service. With my unlimited data plan from Sprint, life is good when we are on the road traveling. My favorite free app has to be “Talking Tom” Great stress reliever and great for kids. My one request is to have some help with the Tasker app. I’m would like to set it up to turn on Bluetooth and GPS when I am in my car and turn it off again when I am not driving. I can’t seem to get it to work for me and would appreciate any tips.“
- Platform News
- App News/Update
- Google Maps got an update. Adds new filters for searching Places: Open Now, Neighborhood, and Related Searches. Google Latitude Real-Time Updating(experimental).
- Dolphin Browser HD 4.0 released. Supports Bookmark Folders, Page Management feature to address bar, multi-language support, bug fixes, etc.
- Google Instant Search for Android seen in the wild
- Navigon for Android comes to the US – $59.99, but $20 off for a limited time.
- Managing Android Devices with Google Apps – Any employee with an Android 2.2 device can access corporate information and allow admins to remotely wipe, lock idle devices, require a password, set minimum password lengths, etc. When the employee leaves the company, the administrator can withdraw access to corporate info, which allows the employee to continue to use their device if it’s their own. Requires an App from the market and Premier or Educational version of Google Apps.
- Current Stable Version: 6.0
- Version 6.1 RC2
- Update to 2.2.1
- Updates of various software, e.g. ADWLauncher, music app, email app, etc
- VPlayer Alpha (Install via AppBrain)
- Android Agenda Widget (Free, Install via AppBrain) – Shows Google, Moto Droid, Touchdown Activesync Calendar events. Also shows Astrid, SSI and Dato GTask tasks. Scrolling with ADW/Launcher Pro. (Plus version $1.93, Install via AppBrain)
- handyCalc Calculator (Install via AppBrain)
- AVSForum (Install via AppBrain) – Home Theater Discussion Forum
- Developer’s Corner