Episode 47 – Hi, Jere!
We missed a week, but we’re back. Guru went to the New York Samsung Android meetup and played with a Galaxy Tab 10.1, then went to the Southeast Linux Fest, Jere gets Gingerbread on his Evo, and more.
- Donating with Bitcoins on the Market (Market Link to Geo Bookmark)
- Official Gingerbread Update for Evo 4G
- Platform News
- Microsoft Earns more from Android than Windows Phone 7(HTC pays Microsoft $5 for every Android device it sells, and Microsoft is suing other manufacturers, seeking $7.50-12.50 per device as an Android Patent Fee)
- MicroSD cards with NFC transmitters can enable Google Wallet on most phones. Reception a concern.
- Android Smartphones consume more data on average (Average Android users consume 582mb per month vs iPhone as 492)
- Root Report
- App News
- GoodReads adds barcode scanner to app, scan books to add to your library
- ReadItLater Free released to market. (Market Link)
- Dolphin Browser HD 5.0 hits market, offers slick new look (Market Link)
- Bank of America revamps its Android app with new UI (Market Link)
- Google Shopper updated, brings local offers. (Market Link)
- Netflix App removes device check, Guru signs up for a month to try it on the Nook and Droid.
- Facebook testing big 1.6 update based on over a 1000 user comments
- Tom Tom Navigator coming to Android
- Zinio Magazine App now available in market. Many popular magazines, Honeycomb only. (Market Link)
- Swiftkey , the latest version, still in full market beta
- Popular game Plants v. Zombies reaches Amazon market. (Market Link)
- LifeDropper Turns camera into EyeDropper tool for Colors…provides RGB, CMYK, hex color values for a color you take a picture of.
- Silent App Uninstaller speeds App Removal. (Market Link)
- GrooVe IP makes free calls from Google Voice over Wifi/3G. Good feature list, reviews indicate bad call quality (Market Link)