Episode 56 – Android Buffet…Live!!
Android Buffet has its first live episode.
- Android Tips
- To exclude files from the Android gallery and media player…create a file called .nomedia `in the directory you don’t want indexed.
- Platform News
- Google buying Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Billion (Google’s Statement). Does this mean the Droid 3 will get more frequent updates? Google TV on Motorola STBs?
- AT&T Joins Sprint in offering Mobile Security to Customers
- Facebook Messenger isn’t stealing your phone numbers.
- FTC looking at how Google favors its own services in Android
- President of Nokia comments the model of applications as central to a mobile OS is ‘outdated’, prefers widgets. Would ‘plugins’ that extend core functionality with a common interface be superior to independent apps for each similar service?
- Google to axe App Inventor, will no longer support, but looking to release as an open source project.
- Everywhere Clipboard for Android – a Windows/Office style clipboard for Android. (Market Link)
- Unlock with Wifi updated, (Market Link)
- Complaint App helps you complain to a company, delivering the complaint by Twitter, Facebook, or email. (Market Link)
- Will Facebook Messenger kill SMS? Facebook launches standalone messenging app, allows you to message individuals or groups. (Market Link) How does it stack up to Google Talk integration on the phone? Why did they decouple it from the existing app?
- SlideScreen removed from market by developers due Gmail security change. Change in security permissions disabled third-party access to Gmail for many apps.
- Studio Clock – simple minimalistic fullscreen clock (Market Link)
- Youtube App Updated, adds playlist controls and more.
- DrainGuard, monitor battery usage in standby. (Market Link for Trial Version)
- MediaConverter, “Convert Anything.” Audio, Video, Images, Documents, etc. Uploads to cloud, converts, redownloads. ($2.99, Market Link)