Episode 71 – It’s Just Like Real Life
The chat room starts to attract a following. Guru gets another new toy, Jere provides some sage wisdom, and we won’t be live next week, but we’ll still have a show.
- Feedback re the Kindle Fire – “I just purchased a Kindle about a week ago. I have an Evo but wanted something bigger to tinker with. I visited droidpirate,com and rooted myself. Well actually I rooted the Kindle. If I root myself I do so in private. It made a world of difference. I have access to the Android Market. It plays Netflix just fine. I unrooted myself after doing the tweaks that Droid Pirate suggested, and I can go back to Amazon and watch the Amazon Prime movies also. All in all a great purchase. Hope you can get some more people to fess up on purchasing a “Cheapman’s iPod”. Yours in Perpetual Motion, Myrt”
- Apparently, AIM isn’t dead. AIM released a new cross-platform app (Market Link for Android App)
- By the end of 2011, 33.7 million Americans will use a tablet, a 158 percent increase. By the end of 2014, one in every three Americans or 90 million users is expected to have a tablet. Statistics indicate more women prefer e-readers to tablets.
- Color E-Reader using Qualcomm’s mirasol display in Korea. “The mirasol display is the industry’s first to use interferometric modulation (IMOD); a micro-electro-mechanical systems-based technology capable of creating color from ambient reflected light.“
- The Kindle Fire supports an external microphone in the headphone jack, yet the Amazon Appstore isn’t aware.
- The Common Error of Overloading Mobile Apps with Features
- Platform News
- Google Plus airs TV commercial
- Google Plus adds Mutual Circle Chat
- Google News Spotlights
- Articles +1 by your Contacts and Circles
- App News
- Macy’s Gets an Android App. (Market Link)
- GO Namecard release (Market Link) – Looks nice, but doesn’t seem worth it.
- Mobivention turns Android phones into pocket mirrors. Offered for same price as RealMirror.
- Push Notifications coming to the GetJar App Store.
- Undelete Beta for Root Users, promises to recover Deleted Files from your SD Card.
- SyncMate for Android allowing for Sync with your Mac - Syncing options include the ability to partner your Mac with a Google account which includes contacts and calendars, music, photos, videos, and even the ability to view, compose, and send SMS messages.
- Google Authenticator – Two Step Authentication
- Does Google’s Multi-Factor Authentication make your security weaker?
- Google created application specific passwords that are 16 random characters. You can revoke them at any time, but having a defined length key, and more ways to access the account may be a security hold in itself
- As Authenticator is open-source, any application can be made to work with it
- Google reminded us earlier this week it was a good idea to enable two-step authentication