Episode 77 – Door-Bell
Our special guest this episode is Steve McLaughlin, the Door to Door Geek, co-host of Linux for the Rest of Us, LinuxBasix, Android App Addicts, and the recently launched Droid Nation. “You too can run Linux each and every day and feel safe and productive doing anything you set your mind to.”
- In Other News
- File Sharing is now a Religion known as Kopimism, and has been recognized as such in Sweden.
- “Let science flow, through fiber an’ through copper. Let knowledge fly through our satellites and back. Let understanding be copied to each others minds, through dialogue and reading. Now seed, download and seed. Let love flow, through fiber and through copper. Let knowledge fly, over fax and over irc. Let bits sweep, over torrents and over mail.”
- Platform News
- Latest Platform numbers: Cupcake: 0.6% Donut: 1.1%, Eclair: 8.5%, Froyo: 30.4%, Gingerbread: 55.5%, Honeycomb, 3.3%, ICS: 0.6%.
- Barnes and Noble is violating the GPL by not releasing source code for the Nook Tablet that will actually compile.
- Top 1% of Mobile Users Consume Half of World’s Bandwidth. In 2009, the top 3 percent of users generated 40 percent of network traffic, now this has increased to 70%.
- A $250 unlocked dual SIM Viewsonic phone?
- The Android Market now contains over 400,000 active applications, 68% are free or freemium vs paid.
- ICS is forcing availability of Holo Theme as a precondition of being a Google branded device. This means that while the manufacturers can skin, the holo theme must be available for use, offering a consistent theme for developers. They have created a DeviceDefault designator to specify the device’s default skin. This will break some things in earlier versions. One developer explains the solution.
- FilmOn Air portable tuner brings OTA HD channels to mobile devices. Battery operated streaming tuner?
- How Getting Featured in the Android Market boosted Runkeeper App Downloads by 637%.
- App News
- Tether by ClockworkMod – USB Tether App, no Root Required (Market Link)
- Tasker updated, adds ‘scenes’, allows users to design custom graphical interfaces, which appear as overlays, dialogs, or full activities. (Market Link)
- TIVO releases app.(Market Link)
- Sandisk Memory Zone exiting beta.
- Google Listen updated…didn’t they promise that at Google I/O two years ago?
- Should Listen get rolled into Google Music, instead of being part of Google Reader?
- TuneIn Radio adds car mode with voice control. (Market link)
- Siri alternative Iris partners with ChaCha for more information.
- Asus says Transformer ICS update to come soon after Prime update.