Episode 79 – Don’t Let the Androids Bite
Jere is tired, so we did a slightly shorter show.
- China set to surpass 1 billion mobile connections
- EU Commission set to rule on Motorola-Google on February 13th
- Smartphone Purchases up Big in Q4 2011, Android biggest percentage of market. In December, 91% of Smartphone Acquisitions were Android or iOS, according to Nielsen.
- Sprint pushes its wireless network for smart grid
- Platform News
- Nokia’s CEO still talking Android fragmentation, “”We don’t want fragmentation being introduced into Windows Phone because we are beginning to see how in a certain other eco-system that fragmentation becomes a problem.”
- What is a ‘Made for Android’ Headphone?
- Security Enhanced Android released by NSA. It is based on SELinux, which uses contexts in addition to traditional user permissions to limit damage down by flawed or malicious apps.
- Pantech may be next to sign a licensing deal for Android with Microsoft
- Samsung working toward all-day battery life in 2012. Who isn’t?
- Open NFC Stack now available for Android 4.0 to make NFC hardware easy to use for OEMs.
- Steve Wozniak admires many features of Android, thinks some are better than iOS.
- Oracle claims they believe Google earns 10 million a day in annual revenue from activations.
- Linux Foundation trying to bring Android drivers back into the Linux mainline.
- Android is about differentiation, not fragmentation. Differentiation is positive. Schmidt claims they allow anyone to change the interface as long as it doesn’t break apps.
- App News
- Photo Calendar – a photo gallery app which organizes all the photos according to date. (Market Link)
- YouMail partners with LetsTalk.com to preload its app on select phones.
- Official Wikipedia App released. (Market Link)
- Airbnb releases Android app. (Market Link)
- Textie for Android launched, yet another cross-platform messaging app.
- Turbotax Snaptax for Android updated.
- Official NBC App released, full episode coming soon. (Market Link)
- How to Buy and Test a Third-Party Battery for Android - Have you Bought a Third-Party Battery?
- How to Hold Your Touch Screen Gadget Correctly and avoid RPI
- Developer’s Corner
- Want more in-app sales? The best way to make in-app purchase pay is to build loyalty and engagement, which can result in more revenue overall than a quick sell.