Episode 109 – The Future is Here
Another week gone by, and we talk about the future.
- In Other News
- The Future of Mobile
- Will smartwatches help tablets replace smartphones?
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Student Edition includes keyboard plus USB adapter – will tablets with attached keyboards be the future of mobile productivity?
- Dunkin Donuts gets into mobile payments, follows Starbucks with iOS and Android apps. Mobile payments are the future…
- Platform News
- Voice Search arrives in 13 new languages – Basque, Bulgarian, Catalan, European Portugeuse, Finnish, Galician, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Romanian, Serbian, Slovak, Swedish.
- Motorola launches device unlock site, two phones and two tablets.
- Cyanogenmod 10 nightlies available for several devices.
- AOKP Gives State of the Union, Jelly Bean build coming soon. AOKP is looking for device developers.
- Google launches experiment to bring AOSP to Sony Xperia S. What could this mean for future?
- Google Enables Smart App Updates to reduce download size
- Kickstarter campaign launched for Ubi, a plug computer running Android that communicates solely by voice.
- Discover adds Google Wallet integration to their website. Add your Discover card to your wallet directly from the Discover website.
- Users chose Androids over iPhone, according to an internal Apple survey conducted in 2010…48 percent to stay with their existing carrier, 36% trusted the Google brand, 30 percent liked larger screens…27% prefered the Play Store, 26% wanted better Google services integration, etc.
- App News
- WWE launches official app. (Play Link)
- Instagram updated, adds photo map and infinite scrolling. (Play Link)
- Pinterest for Android released (Play Link)
- Flash Downloader helps you download Flash for Android now that it is out of the market. (Play Link)
- Twitter bringing API changes that will probably affect Android apps. Time to switch to Google+?
- Coming soon for Android, Fleksy, a new keyboard designed for blind and partially sighted users, but useful for many.