Episode 114 – The Backside of a Car
Monday for a day.
- In Other News
- Clifford the Big Red Dog turns 50.
- What if your wireless carrier paid you to sign up new customers? Solavei, a new MVNO operating on T-Mobile and offers unlimited talk, text, and 4G of data service for $49 a month. Each person you refer to Solavei gets you $20 off the bill.
- AT&T awards 11 year old with $20,000 for an anti-texting while driving app. Any users of the app can be placed into “packs,” with other members of the pack able to check if anyone is texting while driving and if they are, barking sounds can be sent remotely to the offending user until they stop.
- Verizon CFO: “Unlimited is just a word, it doesn’t really mean anything…a lot of consumers think they consume a lot more data than they really do.”
- Platform News
- Google News turns ten, now draws from 50,000 news sources, offers 72 editions in 30 languages.
- Google Play now on Twitter, may offer special promos.
- iOS lead over Android in app monetization is shrinking. While Android monetizes less well per user, the costs to acquire a user are lower, so sometimes profitability is higher.
- Google Maps now sync search and directions across devices.
- Google announces greater accessibility for Google Apps.
- App News
- Redbox App updated, offers better search/sorting functions (Play Link)
- Springpad updated, offering simplified saving, improved tablet view, etc. (Play Link)
- Soundcloud app updated, new record/trim features. (Play Link)
- Opera Mini updated to 7.5, adds Smart Page, a dashboard view of the latest activity on your social networks, along with automatic news feeds from your favorite sites. Opera Mini continues to offer compression. (Play Link)
- Hulu Plus, HBO Go, MAX Go all updated with closed captioning.
- Hadn’t realized this, but there is a Mame4Droid port. (Play Link)
- Facebook and Facebook Messenger App updated, now offers support for sending text messages.
- Official Dick’s Sporting Goods app comes to Android. (Play Link)
- Roku app updated, with Play on Roku. Play on Roku allows you to enjoy your photos and music on your Roku. (Play Link)
- CallApp Contact Center Dialer now back in the Play Market, adds social, personal, and business info to the dialer. (Play Link)
- Bloomberg Radio+ app offers live finance radio or on demand. (Play Link)
- Official Twitter app bumped to 3.4, adds profile header images and photo streams. (Play Link)
- Let’s Talk about BYOD…a survey has found that 49% of US workers who have moved to BYOD haven’t been given a briefing on security issues.