Guru and Jere are back for another exciting podcast.
Audible.com 30 Day Free Trial. Get yours today at AudiblePodcast.com/AndroidBuffet!
- “Hi,I like the idea of podcast mime. Maybe you could switch the show to Youtube and do the whole show in mime only, or perhaps through the medium of contemporary dance. Just an idea. Keep up the good work.” Cheers, Mark.
- “First off, Good show, it’s always placed in my first to listen to folder. Jere congratulations on quitting cigarettes. I started vaping 4 months or so ago and haven’t had a cigarette since the first hit on a e-cig. Lots of Luck you go guy Thanks for the podcast you both are way kewl.” Valentine
- In Other News
- Bloggers concerned about new media shield bill called the Free Flow of Information Act. It would create a new federal privilege for reporters to protect confidential sources. The concern in the law is the definition of journalist, which is multipronged. The definition involves anyone engaging in the traditional acts of a journalist as a profession or has contributed significantly to the medium. If that isn’t enough, then a judge can make a determination.
- USB Condom protects your devices from nasty ports, only supports the pins necessary for power transfer, not data.
- Ray Dolby, the creator of Dolby noise reduction, passes away.
- Platform News
- Google acquires Bump. The service was based on the idea that two users could simply bump their phones together, which would allow them to easily transfer pictures, contact data or other misc. files through the cloud. Nothing actually happened between the two phones except for the sensors in the devices sensing the bump, then sending the data up to the cloud, then placing it in the other users’ account.
- Republic Wireless to offer Moto X for $300 with a starting plan of $5 a month for wifi only calling, $10 for unlimited wifi or Sprint network calling but no data, $25 for 3G data, $40 for 4G Data
- Cyanogenmod forms a company backed by $7 million in funding capital, seeks to take their work professional and will be partnering with an OEM. Will be looking to add easy to use installer. Cyanogenmod currently has over 8 million installs.
- Qualcomm joins the Wireless Power Consortium, the organization behind the Qi standard. Qualcomm’s move is strange as they were a founding member of the Alliance for Wireless Power, proponents of a competing standard.
- Personality Jeff Jarvis tries to activate a Nexus 7 on Verizon LTE. Discovers he can’t, files a complaint with the FCC, and receives a response from Verizon’s legal council.
- App News
- Focal Camera App removed from Cyanogenmod as developer leaves the team post incorporation. Now on Play Store but still in Beta. Focal includes Picsphere, an open source implementation of Google’s PhotoSphere (Play Link)
- Google makes QuickOffice free to all users. Offers 10GB of Free Drive storage if you log in before the 26th. (Play Link)
- Google Adsense App updated, adds widget. (Play Link)
- Firefox for Android now lets you share tabs with NFC, WebRTC support, night mode, and more.
- Google introduces all new Google Wallet, allows anyone to send money from anywhere using email addresses, keep store loyalty cards, use Google Offers, and more. (Play Link)
- Trillian for Android upgraded, gets Holo-Friendly UI and more. (Play Link)
- Aldiko Book Reader Premium Updated with Complete Holo Overhaul. (Play Link)